Monday, July 21, 2008

"...We came in peace for all mankind."

1969: Man takes first steps on the Moon
American Neil Armstrong has become the first man to walk on the Moon.

The astronaut stepped onto the Moon's surface, in the Sea of Tranquility, at 0256 GMT, nearly 20 minutes after first opening the hatch on the Eagle landing craft.

Armstrong had earlier reported the lunar module's safe landing at 2017 GMT with the words: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

As he put his left foot down first Armstrong declared: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

On this day in 1969 I was living in London. I remember staying up to watch this amazing feat of mankind. I can recall every minute as if it was yesterday. I marvelled at the accomplishment. And yes, my "view" of the incredible moon was forever altered on that day. To this day, I still am in awe of what we as a species can achieve when we put our best minds to work. To this day, I still am awestruck every single time another space mission gets underway. It always reaffirms for me that we CAN create miracles, if we so choose.

Go read the rest of this time capsule on the BBC here.

No comments: