Friday, February 12, 2010

I don't know Sally Wiley: SPAAAAAAM!

The last couple of days I have received three emails from someone who calls themselves "Sally Wiley." It seems "Sally" needs my help urgently. Take a look:
Hi, It's me Sally .I really don't mean to inconvenience you right now, I made a little trip to UK and I misplaced my passport and credit cards,please I know this may sound odd, but it all happened very fast. I need to get a new passport, and get on the next available flight home. I've been to the US embassy, they're willing to help, but I'm out of cash and I have minimum access from here. Can you loan me some money and I'll be willing to repay you as soon as I get home.

Please reply as soon as you get this message, so I can forward the details as to where to send the funds, you can try reaching me on this number for now, +447024035615 or 011447024035615, I also have an ID to pick the funds up if sent via western union through walmart.

I will be waiting for your responses
Sally Wiley

"Sally" has been a very busy girl. So has "Troy," who also apparently sends out the same email., with the same phone number. This scam has seemingly being going on at least since November 2009.

Of course it is a scam; just another in a long line of such attempts to con unsuspecting mugs. The telephone number does have the legit prefix for London, but obviously, "Sally" or "Troy" or anyone else trying to collect wired money couldn't do that without their passport as ID.

Also, apart from the atrocious grammar - always a red flag - as far as I know, Walmarts hasn't made it to London yet.

'She' says she has been to the US embassy. Good for her! If you are any sort of traveler, you know that's a bogus claim, since any traveler caught in a bad situation, will get more than enough help from their own embassy. There would be no need to send out fishing emails to strangers. And by the way, the US embassy in London is always really helpful, even to non-US citizens. I know this firsthand!

Silly "Sally." To use an expression that an American friend taught me: "Sally" needs to quit while she's behind..

Consider this story all part of the B*N*S* service, and do what I did if "Sally" contacts you. Report her as spam, and DELETE!!!


No comments: