Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shocker: Lockerbie bomber 'no longer in coma'

Who could have seen this coming? I am shocked, I tell you! Okay, maybe not so much:

Lockerbie bomber, no longer in "coma," says his role was exaggerated

Remember at the end of August, when Tripoli was falling and Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi took a timely turn for the worse? He was portrayed as "comatose" and the rebels refused to extradite him; after all, he was supposedly very, very near death.

It's a miracle. In what appears to be a new interview, he's conscious, coherent, and talking, and says his role was "exaggerated," even as the National Transitional Council gives mixed signals on how much it will cooperate in further investigations.

"Megrahi says his Lockerbie role exaggerated," by Mahmoud al-Ghirbani for Reuters, October 3:

TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, the man convicted of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing that killed 270 people, said his role in the attack had been exaggerated and the truth about what really happened would emerge soon....

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath. Read the rest here.

No comments: