Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lucy Joy Bratdog: Beyond the Rainbow Bridge

This last Tuesday, 12 February, I honoured my girl's very clear wishes and sent her on ahead. At 10.42am, I felt her mighty heart as it stopped beating. She continued on just as she came into our lives as a 9 week old fuzzy puppy : fearless, with absolute trust, and surrounded by unconditional love.


Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. 


When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. 



There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. 



There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. 



All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.



The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. 



They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. 


Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 



Author unknown... 




To infinity and beyond...

18 comments:

Jill said...

We love you AB & you too Lucy Joy!

Anonymous said...

I love you my special sister... I am so very sorry I too will miss Lucy Joy... I am here for you ((((HUGS)))) <3
Mickey

yankeemom said...

My heart joins yours in a warm four-footed-furry-best-friend-lovin' hug.
Run now, Beautiful Lucy. Run ~

Lori said...

No more pain for beautiful Lucy Joy! I love you, my sweet friend. I want to give you a hug but can only send prayers...and lots of them! I love you!

mparsons00 said...

Heart breaking to lose such a dear member of your family. My thoughts are with you, Aunty.

WV Angel said...

We all know Lucy Joy was the joy of your life and feel your great sadness. Many thoughts and prayers are with you.

"God's finger touched her, and she slept."

Love you.

.

Anonymous said...

Have cried buckets of tears over your beloved Lucy. I know how deeply she was loved and how you dreaded the moment when she sent you the clear message that it was time to go. I wish that there were words that could be spoken to ease your pain.
Love you.
Sylvia

K-Dubyah said...

Aww dahling Brat, much love being sent to you. Our fur-kids steal our hearts in ways we'd never expect and give back love as only they can.

Knowing Lucy Joy loved you as much as you loved her eases the pain a bit.

Virtual {{{Hugs}}}} is the best I can do right now. But you have them as well as my prayers.

Autumn Sun said...

This is always the hardest price to pay for so much love and joy. May God watch over your Lucy Angel until you next meet again~
<3 Conni and the zoo

Deborah May said...

I am crying. :( I am sending you huge hugs and lots of love. <3

Susan Duclos said...

My heart breaks for you. The choice to do what is best for someone else no matter how hard it is on you, shows the strength and courage that you are known for. Best wishes and love and prayers go out to you.

Amanda said...

AB - Love you much and have many wet kisses waiting for me too. I think it takes unconditional love by them for us to understand when it is time for these decision and to carry out their wishes. Now to mend ourselves we rescue another one. We still have much love to share and many more furry babies (regardless of their age)in need of us. In your words..."carry on"!

Anonymous said...

Much love and many prayers for you and yours. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful girl. cjbsrn (Carla)

Diane Fairben said...

<3 Lucy is having a ball with all your kitties who have been waiting for her <3

Unknown said...

so sorry, sending love and hugs.

Dbie said...

Aw, man. I am so sorry. I just found out. What a loss in your life.

Melinda "Guard Wife" said...

Even when that decision is so clearly not one that isn't already made, it's very, very, VERY difficult. I am 100% convinced that my wonder mutt, Oscar, serves as a greeter at the Rainbow Bridge. Lucy Joy will find all the sunniest spots if she sticks with him & they can chase each other all day long. {{Hugs}}

Anonymous said...

dang. our Virgil will guard them all and end each day with a nuzzle to the muzzle... and Java Girl will be the bestest girlfriend ever to your special Lucy Joy. until we all arrive at the Rainbow Bridge. {{{HUGS}}}}. Some Soldiers Mom