Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Baby Beluuuuuuuuuuuuuga










A baby in Vancouver Aquarium! Today at about 4.30pm, a beluga baby was born to Qila. The new mum was herself the first beluga to be born in a Canadian aquarium.

Even though I am ambivalent about keeping wild animals in captivity, I spent many hours when bratchild was little in the Aquarium nose to nose, almost, with "killer" whales and the belugas. Because of this aquarium in the middle of the city, I began my loooooong love affair with whales. And yes, I sang "Baby belgua" by Raffi many times to my gleeful bratchild. Of course I still have it on vinyl ;)



And, being the 21st century, this latest delivery was captured on video. You can watch that here. Sing along with me:

Baby beluga in the deep blue sea,
Swim so wild and you swim so free.
Heaven above and the sea below,
And a little white whale on the go.

Baby beluga, baby beluga,
Is the water warm? Is your mama home,
With you so happy?

Way down yonder where the dolphins play,
Where you dive and splash all day,
Waves roll in and the waves roll out.
See the water squirting out of your spout.

Baby beluga, oh, baby beluga,
Sing your little song, sing for all your friends.
We like to hear you.

Oh baby!

Brat

No comments: