Friday, September 11, 2009

The eagle still soars

September 11, 2001. I awoke that day in a different time zone - hours after the attacks that shocked us all. The magnitude of the devastation was overwhelming.. As I watched from a distance throughout that day, what also overwhelmed me were the phenomenal acts of individual heroism. In the midst of the horrors, I was awestruck by the courage of my American 'family' as America showed the world - friend and foe alike - just what she is made of.

As I sat here, helpless, I saw Americans come together, refusing to be helpless, in support of each other. From the frantic parent looking for their child; the office worker helping a colleague; stranger reaching out to another; EMTs, paramedics, fire departments and the police, who raced into the furnace, right on up to the President of the United States, there was a groundswell of pride and determination as America again gave notice that she would never bow on bended knee to any terrorist. Within the maelstrom of destruction, quiet moments of grace and dignity. I was a priviledged witness that day.

Today? I am humbled on a daily basis by the unbreakable spirit that is at the core of America.

The eagle still soars, strong and proud.

God bless the USA.

No comments: