Thursday, March 11, 2010

Leila's Heart

You may recognise the young man in the picture above. His name is Jason Dean Hunt - JD to those who love him. The rest of us became painfully aware of JD in November 2009, when he was one of those murdered by a muslim madman in Ft. Hood.

I first introduced you to JD when I posted a short profile of him on November 10th:

As a boy, Jason Hunt once had to wear silver caps on his front teeth. When he was too timid to smile, his sister, playing on his love for video games, asked him to show his Ninja Turtle teeth.

"He was so embarrassed and such a shy boy," recalled his sister Leila Willingham, 30, of Frederick, Okla. "That was the only way I could make him smile." In high school, Hunt refused to dissect a cat for a class assignment. He was so upset that his mother had to pick him up from school.

But Hunt's shy and sensitive side was transformed, his family said, when he joined the military. His already caring nature bloomed into something brave, selfless and fearless, they said. He hoped to save somebody's life someday.[...]


Willingham recalled her brother once likened his feelings for his military family to the love a parent feels for their children.

"He said, 'I would die for your children.' He said, 'I would die for a stranger to save them.' And he said he would dive in front of a bullet for a soldier."...(read more here)


That is sister Leila in the top picture with her precious brother JD. I wrote about Leila as I included her and JD's family in my most recent year-end Heroes of the Year post:

His sister is now writing her own blog. In her first post, she writes:

Saturday, December 12, 2009

An introduction

You may know about me. I'm a mom of 2 bright lights. A wife. A sister. A child of God. After my sweet (and only) brother was killed at Fort Hood on November 5, 2009, I sit here, feeling compelled to write about him.

My baby brother, Jason. JD is what I call him. But for the purpose of this blog, I am writing for "J." Sometimes I will be writing about my brother. Sometimes I will be writing to him. Sometimes I will be writing to and about the other "J" in my life - the most important. My savior, best friend and Comforter - Jesus.

This blog is not to creep people out or to attract any negativity. Just to heal. To grow. To listen to my Lord and find comfort in the darkest hour or joy in the brightest, and share it.

Thanks for visiting.

Yours and His,
~Leila

Leila has written a few great columns about her brother, and her own journey of healing. Go check it out here.


Leila's heart is writ large on her site, for all to see, as she shares her journey in her new life without her much loved JD by her side.

Her latest column traces her steps as she and her family return to Ft. Hood:
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Journey back to Ft. Hood

Well, here goes. I've been saying it is taking everything I have to write about my trip to Ft. Hood on Friday. It is the strangest thing, because I cannot even find the written words to express what happened on my journey. I feel like I owe it to those precious people who support me though, to at least share what I am able to for now. Nothing is specifically "off limits" to talk about with this particular trip. I am just having a hard time expressing everything that is changing inside of me since the journey on Friday. It is very bizarre for me to be at a loss for words. I'm just not sure why this particular trip is so hard to write about.

On a side note, some heartbreaking events have unfolded today that make me have the desire to write about SOMETHING. And since I can't (won't - as it is unproductive and dishonoring to JD) write about this ugly day, I will at least share, somewhat superficially, my journey on Friday. Please know that if you go on this journey of the deepest kind of grief, you will be faced with ugly days like this. And the sun will come out the next day. All I can say is to really know who you are and do your best to stay true to that. You will fail sometimes, and that's okay. Some very brilliant people tell me that, anyway. I'm still trying to find my way through the heartbreak of losing a love deeper than words can demonstrate.

The trip started in the car, with every mile reminding me of the last time I went to Ft. Hood - November. The car ride was even emotionally exhausting. When I arrived in Killeen I went directly to the meeting for the Ft. Hood Memorial Garden. I am excited and honored to be a part of it, and I will work tirelessly to help ensure that it is funded and representative of the 13 families who will never see their loved one again because of November 5th. I am so honored that they let me speak and share my brother's story, as well as some from others affected by 11/5.


Here is a picture of the proposed memorial garden. The meeting included talks about what kind of stone paths to use, benches, gazebo, etc. I think they are going to make a "wish list" so that certain people or organizations or churches can pledge to do a portion. For example, a church could say they want to raise money for the gazebo. Click here to donate to this incredible project. It is something that will mean a great deal to me and I'm sure the other families who lost their loved ones that day. To have a living thing that will be on earth forever, representing the 13 victims. And one dwarf tree for the sweet unborn baby. I think this model shows the 13 proposed trees surrounding the gazebo.


Then I went to the Soldier Readiness Center. This one is the most difficult to talk about. I probably cannot write much about it. ...

Leila ends this column with:

On the way home, I saw the beautiful sunset I wrote about previously. Staring out the window at the reflection of heaven in the mirror, "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" had a whole new meaning to me.

Leila writes about this day, through her words from her heart, and we bear witness to legacy of these heroes of Ft Hood.

As my regular readers know, I have been priviledged to share here the words and the insights of more than a few of our fallen heroes' families. It is through the grace and courage of the families, that we get to share a small part of the amazing heroes who choose to serve a cause greater than themselves. It is because of these families that the legacy of love which exemplifies the heroes that walked among us, that we are honoured to see the heroism of the families. Sisters like Leila honour their loved ones, and open their hearts to all of us.

Leila is a hero to me, every bit as much as JD. Please go read the rest of her latest column here. I promise you, you will come away the richer for the time spent, as she shares her visit to Ft. Hood.

I have added Leila's site to my blogroll. (J). I suggest that you bookmark her site for yourself, and check back often. I plan to make her site a regular reading stop as she writes "Just to heal. To grow."

Thank YOU, Leila, for YOUR service. Thank you.

3 comments:

Northstar96sc said...

Thanks for this tribute and for taking me on the journey with you. You are in my prayers and in my heart. God Bless..

Leila said...

I am so honored with what you wrote. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Poet Warrior said...

Leila---The greatest tribute you can pay your wonderful brother is to live your life joyfully. He was killed in war as surely as any soldier has been. It is tragic, but he would have you remember him with smiles and by taking his loss as a building block for a good life. Do your tribute, but be it as well. Do not lose tomorrow in yesterday. I have seen too much of that. I cry for what has happened to you all. I want to smile about what will be ahead for you. So does "J" and so does our Lord.