Wednesday, October 8, 2008

And now for something completely different!

Found the following on the Beeb website. As someone who was always accused of eating a page of the dictionary for breakfast, when I was at elementary school, this caught my interest.

Read on:

The man who reads dictionaries

By Tom Geoghegan
BBC News Magazine

Ammon Shea
The OED is the Everest of dictionaries
Ammon Shea spent a year reading the Oxford English Dictionary - 20 volumes, 21,730 pages and 59 million words - and he rates poring over a dictionary as enriching as reading a novel. Why?

The prospect of talking to a man who reads dictionaries for fun prompts a sudden vocabulary-insecurity complex and a fear that every word he utters might sound like a painful medical condition.

But thanks to Ammon Shea's belief that long words only hinder conversations, there's no need to consult any dictionaries while he clearly explains his eccentric hobby.

"I'm not against big words per se or fancy or obscure words, obviously I love them, but I'm opposed to using them for their own sake," he says.

"If words are to form a communication, you use them as a tool to communicate to people and it's pointless to intentionally use a word that no-one else knows."...

AMEN! A man after my own heart :) Go read the rest here. I have to go tripudiate.(I just learned a new word…rofl)


No comments: