Monday, March 16, 2009

"...the pipes..the pipes are calling..."



Eva Cassidy (February 2, 1963 – November 2, 1996)

"Oh Danny boy, the pipes,
the pipes are calling.
From glen to glen,
and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone,
and all the flowers are falling.
'Tis you, 'tis you
must go and I must bide.
But come ye back
when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed
and white with snow.
And I'll be here
in sunshine or in shadow.
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy,
I love you so.
But if you come,
and all the flowers are falling.
And I am dead,
as dead I might well be.
You'll come and find
the place where I am lying.
And kneel and say
an "Ave" there for me.
And I will hear,
though soft your tread above me.
And all my grave
will warmer sweeter be.
And you will bend
and tell me that you love me.
And I shall sleep
in peace until you come to me.
But if I live,
and should you die for Ireland,
Let not your dying thoughts
be just of me.
But say a prayer to God
for our dearest Ireland.
I know He'll hear
and help to set her free.
And I will take your pike
and place my dearest,
And strike a blow,
though weak the blow may be.
T'will help the cause
to which your heart was nearest
Oh Danny Boy, Oh, Danny boy
I love you so."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Danny Boy" is one of my favorites, and that version is just breathtaking. I have added the video to my YouTube Favorites. Thanks, Brat.

Sylvia