Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Survivor Corp


Cross-posted from Knee Deep in the Hooah!

Check out the banner above. This is from an organization called Survivor Corp. Here’s an excerpt from a recent blog entry on their site:

Homecoming Is A Process, Not A Parade
Nov 17, 2008

U.S. Army Captain (Retired) Scott Quilty knows first hand about the challenge of recovering from both the wounds of war. On October 1, 2006, Scott was on patrol in Iraq when he was severely injured by an improvised explosive device.

“I lost my arm and my leg in Iraq, but I gained a sense of self. The toughest part for me was answering some of those existential questions, ‘How am I going to go on from here, and how will I take care of my family?’ Now I am working to rise above my circumstance and give back to others.”

Scott joined Survivor Corps in 2008 as the manager of the U.S. Program. The U.S. Program links veterans and service members to each other for support. “I know from personal experience that some of the best help comes from those who have been there too,” explains Quilty.

Of the more than one and a half million Americans who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, an estimated 20% have reported symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or major depression. Roughly 200,000 veterans are homeless, and the suicide rate among service members and veterans is the highest it has been since the Vietnam War. READ MORE

Stop by Survivor Corp when you get a chance and donate if you are able.

Donate Today to Help Our Returning Troops! Donate Now! Survivor Corps

No comments: