Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Media Matters: Journalist's ego can cost lives

Who does it serve? That question has been the underpinning of my philosophy - the question I ask myself - before I share ANY story, or information I have heard.

My regular readers know how furious I get when I see the msm sharing details of military missions either ahead of time, or as they are happening. Drives me nuts. In times of war, what journalists share with their readers/viewers, can sometimes influence future events, and yes, cost lives.

I have often written about media hacks who rush to share all they know with the public. One such column was back in January 2009 called "Start Spreading the News." What? You expect originality here?


Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Start Spreading the News...

I think most of you have heard me ranting about how the msm has aided and abetted enemies of our countries. Time and again, I have lamented the sorry state of the media as they share - often on their front pages, or top of their newscasts - information that should NOT be shared. Too many times they have rushed to print - or on air - with the latest 'scoop', never mind that their blabbing could, and, indeed, may have, endangered not only national security, but the lives of our men and women.

I didn't think anything the msm did could surprise me anymore, but I was wrong. This past week I heard something so bizarre, I thought I had heard it wrongly. I couldn't believe my ears. Then I found this:...


To read what I found back in January 2009, go here. Yep, been a long time peeve of mine, and it seems the more things change, the more they remain the same.

From Israel National News:

Veteran Journalist: I'd Do the Same Today

Veteran journalist Yaakov Achimeir knew about the Israeli attack in Iraq in 1981 and said nothing. "I'd do the same today."


By Elad Benari
11/7/2011

Yaakov Achimeir
Yaakov Achimeir
Israel news photo: Shomron Regional Council


In the wake of the media storm about the possibility of an Israeli military strike in Iran, a veteran journalist recalled on Sunday another Israeli military operation: the 1981 strike on Iraq’s nuclear reactor.

On June 7, 1981, during the term of Prime Minister Menachem Begin, Israel carried out Operation Opera, a surprise air strike that destroyed a nuclear reactor under construction 17 kilometers (10.5 miles) southeast of Baghdad.

Yaakov Achimeir, veteran broadcaster on Channel One and Kol Yisrael radio, received firsthand information about Israel’s intention to bomb the Iraqi nuclear reactor, but kept silent and resisted the temptation to share the information with his viewers and journalist friends.

“About three or four weeks before the bombing, I received the information about the bombing,” Achimeir recalled in a conversation with Arutz Sheva. “A senior official told me about it and described the training the air force was doing in preparation for the operation. I listened with great interest.”

He added, “That official told me about it inadvertently because we were friends. He took a great risk because he had no idea I wouldn’t say anything about it. He spoke casually and revealed to me one of the greatest secrets of the State of Israel.”

Achimeir recalled that while he kept the details of the attack a secret from his colleagues, “at one point I told some people that something big is about to happen. I guess I had to share something with somebody.”

The easy part, he said, was not saying a word to the viewers when he was on camera....


This really IS a must read - maybe as part of journalism ethics classes? What? Go here.

The truth is, that ethics in journalism can be part of any curriculum in any school, but when push comes to shove, ethics are a personal matter. You either got 'em, or you don't, and no amount of 'learning' will change that.

No comments: