Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The children also serve


Charlie Sherpa of Red Bull Rising is a recent addition to my blogroll over there>>>

Not only is Charlie a member of our military, he is also a fantastic writer. His column for Fathers Day just past, ripped my heart out, as he writes a letter to his children:

20 June 2010

A Letter to Lena

Dear Lena:

Today is Father's Day. You are 5-and-a-half years old. Rain is 3 years old. You are my best friends in the world. I love you both very much.

I am writing from an Army camp. I work in a big tent with other soldiers and airmen. Some are men and some are women. You and Rain would like it here. There are always lots of airplanes and helicopters and trucks. Some airplanes flew over my head last night. It made me think of my dad. I hope you are thinking of me sometimes, too.

This week, I saw Elam's dad at an Army store. I told him you said I had to give him a hug. He said that was very sweet. I hope you and Elam are friends for a long time.

I will be home soon, but I have some sad news. In a month or two, the Army will send me to another country. The country is called Afghanistan. I am going because my soldier friends need my help. I will talk on a radio, and work on a computer. I will help keep my friends safe....


PLEASE take the time to go read the rest of what this loving father writes to his young children, as he readies to deploy. Find it here.


I have said before, and will no doubt say it again: NEVER forget that the children also serve.

No comments: