Sunday, September 7, 2008

Some Gave All: Sgt. 1st Class Gregory A. Rodriguez















(Pictures courtesy of K9 Pride
and Soldiers' Angels)









Sgt. 1st Class Gregory A. Rodriguez, 35, a military policeman, was killed in Ana Kalay, Afghanistan when his patrol came under small-arms fire, according to a statement from the Department of Defense.

Rodriguez was a dog handler for the military police. He was assigned to the K-9 unit of the 527th Military Police Company, 709th Military Police Battalion, 18th MP Brigade, Ansbach, Germany, according to the Pentagon.

There was no word on the fate of Rodriguez' dog.[
brat update: Jacko, Greg's four footed partner, survived. There is a plan afoot to have him adopted by the family. Stay tuned]

He will be buried with full Military Honors at Arlington National Cemetery. Greg was a devoted husband, father, Soldier and friend. May God Bless him and welcome him with open loving arms.
(From SA forum)

R.I.P. Sgt. 1st Class​ Grego​ry A. Rodri​guez-Army fallen military working dog handler

I woke up this morning to see that another United States Army military working dog handler was killed in action in Afghanistan this past Tuesday, September 2nd. Army Sgt. 1st Class Gregory A. Rodriguez from Weidman, Michigan. Apparently, his nickname was “150.” Rest in peace my brother, we are all praying for you and your family. Thank you for your service and making the ultimate sacrifice, you are a true hero....

According to postings on Internet forums, Rodriguez, known to his friends as “150,” loved Jeeps.

[a blog entry]...also included a blog entry of a poem titled “Guardians of the Night,” celebrating the strength and courage of a military working dog.... (courtesy of K9 Pride)

Guardians Of The Night
Author - Unknown

Trust in me my friend for I am
your comrade. I will protect you
with my last breath When all
others have left you And the
loneliness of the night closes
in, I will be at your side.

Together we will conquer all
obstacles, And search out
those who might wish harm to
others. All I ask of you is
compassion, The caring touch
of your hands. It is for you that I
will unselfishly give my life And
spend my nights unrested.
Although our days together
May be marked by the passing
of the seasons Know that each
day at your side is my reward.

My days are measured by The
coming and going of your
footsteps. I anticipate them at
every opening of the door. You
are the voice of caring when I
am ill. The voice of authority
when I've done wrong.


Do not chastise me unduly For
I am your right arm, The sword
at your side. I attempt to do
only what you bid of me. I seek
only to please you and remain
in your favor.

Together you and I shall
experience A bond only others
like us will understand When
outsiders see us together Their
envy will be measured by their
disdain.

I will quietly listen to you And
pass no judgment, Nor will your
spoken words be repeated I will
remain ever silent, Ever vigilant,
ever loyal. And when our time
together is done And you move
on in the world Remember me
with kind thoughts and tales,
For a time we were unbeatable,
Nothing passed among us
undetected.

If we should meet again on
another street I will gladly take
up your fight, I am a Police
Working Dog and together We
are guardians of the night.

"In the arms of the Angels,...."


Please keep all of those who love this hero in your prayers.

Bless all our troops and their families.

No comments: