Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Sad Memorial Day - 2011

Over the last few days, I have been watching discussions what Memorial Day really means to my American 'family.' Much has been said about the disconnect, the ignorance of so many Americans who see this most solemn of days as just another day off, or a day to catch retail sales, with no thought (nor sometimes even knowledge) of the significance of this day in the heart of America.

As always, it takes a Veteran to oh so eloquently share what Memorial Day should mean.

From War on Terror News:

05/28/2011

A Sad Memorial Day - 2011

Remember 12-7a














This Memorial Day is not only somber for me, but also brings more sadness. I was given the opportunity to observe a Military ceremony for Memorial Day.

As a Soldier, I was never a fan of ceremonies, but this is the one that should be given great importance. It is not to say that other Military ceremonies shouldn't. I have a high regard for many of the ceremonies of the Military, but too many have lost their significance.

Perhaps, as a Veteran, I put more value on Memorial Day than I did as a Private, but it was my NCO's as a Private that taught me the meanings, that put an emphasis on the "why's" of the ceremonies, not least of which was Memorial Day. Perhaps, when one has a particular person they remember, Memorial Day is more important. I don't share those names with the public. They are for me to remember.

So, it saddened me to watch this ceremony, which included the families of the fallen, because few seemed to have put much thought or weight into the meaning of it. It seemed they were going through the motions, but not the meaning. This is a leadership issue. It is the leader's responsibility to teach the Troops why we do the things we do. The Leadership seemed more concerned with the picture before the ceremony than the ceremony they used as an excuse to take the picture. I do not expect this is a military wide problem, but I was particularly disturbed with the attitudes of leadership at multiple levels....


There is much more, and it IS a MUST READ here.

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.”


Yes, I WILL remember, and HONOUR, them all..


1 comment:

CyberPastor said...

I cross-posted this at my place. Thank you for all of your support for the brave troops from so many different nations! http://dtrtministries.com/2011/05/29/assoluta-tranquillita-a-sad-memorial-day/