Thursday, March 19, 2009

Product Alert from Bratdog

The products are sold in major supermarkets and pet supply stores. They're meant to get rid of fleas and ticks on your pets. But after looking closely through government data, NBC Los Angeles found thousands of reported pet illnesses and deaths that are linked to these products.

Pet Products Investigation


Updated 8:57 PM EDT, Thu, Mar 19, 2009

For many of us, pets are like members of the family. Which is why it would be devastating if your dog were to suddenly collapse, or drop dead, after you used a pet product that is approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

[Watch Video]

NBC Los Angeles reports that thousands of reported pet illnesses and deaths are linked to products sold at major supermarkets and pet supply stores that...

Dr. Jeff Werber, a well-known Los Angeles veterinarian says, "Do I want to risk my own cats to that? I have six. The answer is "no."

The products we investigated are flea and tick shampoos and drops sold by major companies like Sergeant's, Bio Spot, and Hartz. They all contain the same type of pesticide, called pyrethrins or the synthetic versions known as pyrethroids.

These are the same pesticides in household products like "Raid," used to kill bugs around your home.

Several stores where we bought the products told us they were completely safe.

That's what one well-known pet supply store told Heidi Woehler of Santa Clarita, when she bought Bio Spot Flea and Tick Shampoo for her two cats, Hummer and Samson. "I read the directions and I followed them thoroughly," says Woehler.

But within minutes of applying the shampoo, she says both cats began having seizures, especially Hummer.

"He's shaking, he can't breathe, said Woehler, recalling the incident. An emergency room veterinarian saved Samson. Hummer didn't make it. Woehler says, "He died a horrible, violent, fast death.”...

And there is more, which you can read here. An informed consumer has safe furbabies. All part of the Brat group service.:)

Bratdog thanks her friend Janice for alerting her and her mum to this danger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. How awful it would be to lose a pet when you're thinking that you are doing what is best for them.